Saturday, April 28, 2018

4.28.18 - Tuna casserole

I've been making a concerted effort to try to cook more. I never was much of a cook and once we had to go gluten free I became even less so. Plus I've been calorie counting for cumulatively probably over half of Clara's life, and calorie counting also really slows down cooking.

So for my most recent bet with Julie, I basically created a loophole where if I cook a gluten free dinner, I can eat that dinner without calorie counting it. That's a pretty good motivator for me. So far it seems like I am not losing any weight on this bet, but I am experimenting with more gluten free cooking, which is something I think my family needs and will need long-term.

Anyway, in the last couple weeks I've tried a teriyaki chicken stir fry, a "creamy eggs" toast, a potato hash, and two versions of tuna casserole. The stir fry was delicious but involved and a bit expensive. The creamy eggs were actually not at all good. The potato hash was cheap and tasty enough, but so far the winner is definitely the (second version of the) tuna casserole. Cheap, easy, delicious. So for posterity, here is how I made it:

  • 12 oz GF penne
  • 3 soft-boiled eggs
  • Maybe 0.5 oz shredded sharp cheddar
  • 15.25 oz canned corn, drained
  • 12 oz frozen peas, microwaved
  • 2 5 oz cans of tuna, drained
  • Maybe 2 Tbsp of butter
I basically boiled the pasta and then mixed everything else into it. I did add some parmesan to my serving. Anyway it's delicious, and Jane loves it too. Haven't tried it on Clara yet.


No comments:

Post a Comment