Wednesday, June 6, 2018

6.6.18 - Julie takes me out for my birthday

This morning I woke up at 7 a.m. (because that's about when I've been waking up every day anyway) and after getting ready to go I headed out to Picasso's coffee house. Julie and I have a tradition of going there nearly every time I visit Missouri.

I drove down Highway 70 listening to the radio and thinking about how many times I've done that before. It's especially nostalgic in the summer, and I haven't been Missouri in the summer in several years so I really enjoyed reliving happy memories and a broad feeling of MO summer/driving/radio that I love.

Old town St. Charles was almost totally empty because I got there so early. I parked behind Picasso's and thought of the time Grandpa and I went there in the snow at Christmas time. The coffee shop reminds me of him and makes me feel that happy/sad feeling but mostly happy. There were already people in the coffee shop but not in my favorite seats, so I went and held them and waited for Julie (I got there a little early).


Julie arrived not long after and bought us both treats for my birthday. We both got iced mochas (hers with soy milk) in mason jars (adorable) and I got a spinach croissant. Incidentally both baristas were these young particularly good-looking guys, and I noticed that I noticed that, because I don't usually. I don't miss being younger and single and trying to figure all that out, but I do remember enjoying flirting sometimes. It was a passing amusing thought.


So we sat in our favorite seats and talked about the similarities between one of the surgeons Julie works for and our own dad (in terms of personality but also work dynamic). When we were done eating we walked down by the river and then back up main street, both of which were lovely and had very few people around (which I like).


Then we went over to this thrif shop Julie has been talking excitedly about called Savers. We met Mom and Ellen there and all shopped for a while and you know what? It was awesome! It was a huge shop and very well organized. Slightly more expensive than Goodwill but still much less expensive than a typical clothing store, and more organized with more selection than a lot of thrift shops. I ended up finding four shirts, two shorts, three capris, and a dress! Quite a haul. Julie bought half of it for my birthday too, which was amazing. I had thought about picking out only my favorites but with her contribution I just got everything. So awesome.


It was a really wonderful morning and thoughtful birthday gift. She gets me.

No comments:

Post a Comment